Even apartment dwellers can save water & electricity with these simple tips. Try these out for a more sustainable lifestyle (and lower bills), no matter where you live…
There are a few things that are essential for modern life – no matter where you live, or what kind of lifestyle you have. Two of those things are water and electricity. You probably use electricity for more things than you even realize every day, and water, of course, is not just necessary to sustain life, but also to create self-sufficiency by growing your own food and possibly even raising some livestock – both of which require plenty of water.
Whether you live in an urban apartment or on an off-grid homestead, there are plenty of things you can do to save water & electricity. All it takes is a few simple changes to your daily habits, and before you know it, you’ll be living more sustainably and taking better care of the world around you – while reducing your water and energy bills at the same time!
Below are 6 easy ways to conserve water, and 4 more for saving electricity – from The Grow Network.
6 Easy Ways to Conserve Water
- Use the 2-sink trick for washing dishes (yes, it uses even less water than a dishwasher)
- Collect pre-shower “cold” water in bucket and store in empty milk jugs for use around your apartment
- Install or ask your landlord to install low-flow shower heads and faucets
- Put a bottle filled with water in your toilet tank
- Only run your washing machine when you have a full load and use only cold water. Turn off the extra rinse.
- Hang or line dry your clothes.
4 Simple Ways to Conserve Electricity:
- Replace light bulbs with Energy-Efficient bulbs.
- Insulate windows and doors and install blackout curtains.
- Plug all electronics into power strips and turn them off at night and during the day when you’re not using them.
- Seal or ask your landlord to fix or seal drafty windows and doors