How to Make Your Own All-Natural Antimicrobial Cleaning Spray
Skip the chemicals and store-bought essential oils and make your own safe and natural antimicrobial cleaning spray for a cleaner, safer, and more sustainable home…
If you are concerned about the health of your family and the chemicals present in commercial cleaning products, you may have looked into how to make your own cleaners using natural ingredients.
However, even some natural home cleaning recipes contain ingredients that may not be all that sustainable – such as essential oils.
Commercially produced essential oils are not only expensive, but may not have been grown or processed in the most sustainable ways, and some may even contain harmful pesticide or chemical solvent residues – not what you want in a “non-toxic” cleaning solution!
Fortunately, it is possible to make your own safe and effective home cleaners using non-toxic, easily available, and affordable ingredients – plus herbs you grew in your own garden for a much more sustainable cleaning experience. And learning how to make some of the products you use at home is a great homesteading skill to master!
Here is an example of a recipe for an all-natural antimicrobial cleaning spray that you can easily make at home:
Antimicrobial Vinegar Cleaner Recipe
WHAT YOU’LL NEED…
- Roughly 3 cups of white vinegar
- 1 cup dried thyme leaves and flowers
- 1 cup dried lavender flowers
- Place the dried herbs in a quart jar.
- Fill the jar with vinegar. Stir well.
- Cover with a plastic lid (not metal).
- Let this sit for 24 hours. The next day, the vinegar should be a lovely red color, which comes from the thyme.
- Strain out the vinegar well and place it in a spray bottle.
- Voila! You have your own super cheap, super effective herbal vinegar cleaner.
Recipe Source: Urban Farm.org
(Image by gate74 from Pixabay.)